1. You start your message with “ I hope you’re doing well”. The reason this made the #1 is because it’s THE most commonly used & now has a reputation that a sales message will follow.
2. “ I was wondering what if” or I’m looking to grow my network” or I’m the CEO of XYZ & I’m … all you talk about is Yourself. I call that Selfish. In the first paragraph you are just talking about yourself & the receiver still has no idea Why you’re sending them a message.
3. Your message is nearly 400 words which are still talking about Your business & how much money you’ve made for other companies. Still missing the Why. Rambling is a No No
4. You share something super personal about yourself in your message that makes the receiver simply think TMI & delete. Even though that personal thing made you grow. It’s still baggage no one needs to hear on the 1st date.
5. You send a message with the connection followed by a pitch 5 min to an hour later. A major Don’t in my book & a very popular no no culture on LinkedIn. Hold your excitement my friends a bit longer. 😉